Monday, December 04, 2006

The Book Of Love

My freshman year in college I began writing in a journal that those close to me have come to know as ‘The Book of Love’. Over the years more than fifty people have contributed to my book, people from all over the world and in several different languages sharing long lists of the things they love. When I first started the book I made it a personal habit to contribute a new entry every year and then take the time to read back over all of the entries but as life has become really hectic I’ve somehow let six years go by without doing either.

Just last week as I began pulling down all of my Christmas decorations for the year, I stumbled upon the Book of Love. Sitting on the floor of my freezing cold attic, I opened the first dusty page and began reading. An hour later, snuggled up in an easy chair in front of the living room fire I continued pouring over each entry, my heart warming with each page.

Writing down the things you love is an interesting exercise, one that takes consideration. For some it creates warm fuzzies, for others it creates an opportunity to reprioritize but by sharing your entry publicly you have the opportunity to bless others. I’ve included my latest entry at the bottom of this post but before you read it, I’d be honored if you would consider writing your own entry as a comment on this blog. Begin by writing your first name, your age, and the state where you live (if you are comfortable) then fill as much space as you desire describing everything you love. The exercise works much better if you do not read other’s entries until after you have written your own.

Meagan, 27 years old, Texas

I love this book and the memories it holds for me. I love looking back over the years and seeing the paths God has brought me down. I love grace, forgiveness, second chances and fresh starts. I love perspective and knowing a little bit of it can change anything and everything. I love learning new lessons and knowing that I don’t HAVE to make the same mistake twice. I love that each day is fresh, with no mistakes in it yet and that if I am going to make a mistake I can choose to make a NEW mistake. I love being a mom and the front row view of a young boy’s discoveries that it affords me. I love waking up, walking into my son’s room and seeing the beautiful smile that lights up his face when he sees me. I love soft, curly, baby-scented locks of hair and the smell of baby skin right after a bath. I love fat little feet, pudgy dimpled hands, toothless grins and drool covered chins. I love giggles and smiles, snuggles and tickles, even wails and screams. I love ‘watching the wheels turn’ as my son explores, tests, and learns about our great big world. I love being a parent and finally understanding the magnitude of God’s love for his son and what the sacrifice of that son really meant. I love the way becoming a parent has strengthened my relationship with my parents and increased my respect for them ten-fold. I love being on the front side of beginning our little family and daydreaming about our future children. I love talking and praying about our hopes, dreams, and the wonderful things God has in store for our family. I love being a part of a church body and the accountability and opportunity it provides for meaningful relationships with other Christians. I love having Christian friends who are warm and friendly and who truly embody the spirit of Christ. I love knowing those friends would not only welcome newcomers and nonbelievers but would love them and embrace them. I love the opportunity to share my story and the fact that God trusts us enough to allow us to share the greatest story ever told. I love knowing that even though I’ve tried to create a list of the things that I love that the love I have in my heart for God and the blessings he has given me is too immeasurable to be contained in a book.

Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13:8
What do you love?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, 39 years old, Texas

I love "Once a ponce a time" and bedtime hugs. I love prayers from a child and true sincerity. I love it when my kids wake up early to tell me goodbye before I go to work. I love words used the wrong way and a child’s unspoiled naivety. I love baseball and golf with my son. I love laughing and dreaming with my daughter. I love getting stuck having to answer the tough questions my kids need to ask. I love to see my wife smile and see that hint of mischief in her eyes. I love holding hands. I love getting lost in my work. I love audio books or better yet my wife reading to me. I love babies and the peace I sense in them. I love the gentleness of an old man. I love the spunk in little old ladies. I love seeing someone’s dreams come true. I love the look in someone’s eyes when they get it. I love that God can use me. I guess I just love being loved…

Anonymous said...

Adelle, 33, California

I love the smell of my son's hair. I love his hugs and kisses. I love the soft place in the hollow of my husband's throat. I love crisp, cold winter mornings filled with sunshine. I love memories of my mother. I love my church family. I love that my dad has become my nurturer as well as my challenger in my mother's absence. I love sleeping in and waking to hear my husband and son talking quietly in the kitchen as they eat breakfast together. I love thinking about how our lives will change next July. I love realizing how much we are blessed. I love it when God gives us gifts for no discernable reason...

Meagan said...

Tom and Adelle -

Thank you so much for sharing - you have blessed my day.

Meg

Anonymous said...

Jami, 43 years old, Texas

I love to hear my beautiful little boy, Garrett, giggle and laugh and sing. His voice is angelic and when he sings his little heart out whether in his bathtub or just walking around our house, it always is a beautiful thing to experience. I love the crackle of the fireplace on a cold winter night, with our Christmas tree lights on and candles lit. I love the Christmas season, the lights, the Christmas music and the energy in the air. I love to get into deep conversations with others, and discover how God works in those conversations to bring encouragement, hopefullness, accountability, resolve, love, comfort, etc. I love that each new day brings new hope and mystery and opportunity to grow, do better, get it right, learn something, etc. I love God's beautiful creations especially sunsets.

Meagan said...

Thank you Jami!

Anonymous said...

Kathryn 43 yrs., Texas
WOW :)!! What do I love? I love LOVE. I love hearing Grant & Cole laughing uncontrollably. I love a good football game w/ crisp weather! I love the innocence of all children and watching the lightbulb moment. I love animals...any and ALL. I love going to the movies. I love a good concert...H. Connick, jr., Michael Buble, Rod Stewart, John Legend. I love fall weather and the cracking of a fire, smells from the kitchen and the energy in the house when all my family is together. I love a great book that you never want to end. I love listening to the sound of my friends all together having a good time. I love learning about others and their needs and wants and what makes them tick. I love that God loves me unconditionally and uses me regardless of all my shortfalls. I love and long for the day I am reunited with my heavenly Father.

Meagan said...

Thank you Kaki!

Bethany said...

Bethany, 26 years old, California
I've been mulling this over and just haven't had time to write a full response, but now's my chance! Thanks for this "assignment" as it's changed the way I think the past few days. Instead of focusing on things I don't like, I've been pondering what it is that I love about life. Instead of "I hate traffic" I thought "I love listening to my iPod in the car." So here goes....

I love the small things in life that make each day more joyful. I love when Bon Jovi comes on the radio and it instantly brings a smile to my face. I love music that is so beautiful that even without lyrics it brings tears to your eyes. I love the acceptance I feel when someone laughs at a joke I make. I love the rush that comes from a child running to you and giving your legs a big hug. I love feeling proud of the people in my life. I love when a meal is so good that from first bite to last you're annoying everyone around you with "This is so good!" I love those first hints of Christmas (including Starbucks Gingerbread Lattes) and the anticipation that the holidays are finally here. I love watching my Cowboys win. I love laughing with my best friends so hard that we forget what got us going in the first place. I love seeing new places. I love the bustle of walking through a city. I love the Manhattan skyline. I love bright colored flowers. I love that there are too many things to be thankful for in life that this list could go on and on….

Kristi said...

Meagan,

This entry inspired my latest entry. So, instead of posting my "loves" on your comments...check out my blog. Thanks for the thought-provoking post!

Kristi