Thursday, December 07, 2006

Opportunity Knocks

A couple of nights ago, my mom and I took my son to the city's annual tree-lighting ceremony so that we could get a picture of my little guy with Santa Claus in his vintage sleigh. Although we arrived nearly 30 minutes before the pictures were scheduled to begin, the line for Santa was already wrapped around the side of the building. I snagged a spot in line and my mom took off with my son to go see the live reindeer. I settled in for the long-haul waiting and people watching. Several minutes went by as I observed quietly from my perch at the end of the line when the man in front of me made a comment about my son. I politely replied and returned to my people watching. A few minutes went by and the man made a comment about the weather and then asked me a question. I replied, and then returned to my people watching. Another comment, another reply and I started getting annoyed thinking, 'Great, this guy is going to talk my ear off for the next 45 minutes." I stood there annoyed, but politely engaging in the conversation and it wasn't until I got home that evening that it hit me like a ton of bricks; here was this guy reaching out to me, desperately trying to connect when I should be the one reaching out to him. He had naturally and easily opened the door for me to share my life and my faith with him and not only had I not recognized the opportunity, I was annoyed by the 'disturbance'. I think working in ministry has somewhat dulled me to the evangelism opportunities all around me because 95% of the time I am surrounded by people from my church. Something I once did so naturally and easily had suddenly become foreign to me. I praise God that he opened my eyes to the opportunity and pray that he continues to bring me opportunities to share my faith. May I not be so thick-skulled next time.

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
Romans 10:14-15

Your thoughts?


2 comments:

Bethany said...

I might as well have written this post! I am right there with you as I just get annoyed by the person next to you in line, or in the seat next to you on the plane, who wants to start a conversation. To put it plainly, I don't like talking to strangers. It wasn't until recently that I've started to realize what a missed opportunity that is, although I have yet to put my thoughts into practice. Thanks for the encouragement to actually share some of ourselves with the people around us!

Zack said...

I agree Megan. I have to watch myself about this as well. God bless you and your family. Have y'all gotten to see Angie and Jake in a while (this is Zack Blaisdell by the way)? They're doing well too. Great to read your blog Megan. Take care.
Zack
ps. I've got a blog too. www.zack-blaisdell.blogspot.com.