Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Audience Of One

I have a friend, whom I love dearly, but every time I see her she tells me about some "product" I should be using or a better way to apply my makeup. It shouldn't bother me, but it does, and as a result I find myself taking extra time to apply my makeup and fix my hair when I know I am going to see her.


A few weeks ago I had a meeting with a very important and well-known man in our brotherhood. I had only just met the man when he looked over at my bookshelf and said, "Your bookshelf sure is empty; looks like you aren't much of a reader." I wanted to say something smart like, "I don't want to be sized up by the books I read so I don't display mine," but I opted instead for something a little more gracious and humble. It shouldn't have bothered me, but it did, and now I find myself glancing at the bookshelf several times throughout the day wondering what my books say about me.

Those of you who know me well know that I am five months past a very difficult pregnancy that included 10 weeks of bedrest, an emergency c-section and a sweet little boy who was 7.5 weeks early. Aside from the obvious blessings that resulted from the ordeal, I found myself with an extra 65 lbs and a really ugly scar. Now 44 lbs lighter I have been continually discouraged by how few people have noticed the change. It shouldn't bother me, but it does, and I find myself putting more and more time in the gym and restricting my food even more to get back "down to size".

Suddenly, it hit me. Why do I care so much what all of these other people think? There is really only one audience member that matters: God. How different would my life be if I truly lived and breathed for an audience of one?

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:2

Your thoughts?

No comments: