Friday, June 30, 2006

June Bugs

Last night, my husband, son and I were in our entry way saying goodbye to some relatives as they left our house when, as my husband closed the door, a rogue June bug flew into the house. He flittered around for a few moments and then landed on my son’s forehead as he sat on my hip. I quickly swatted the bug away but he flew back and landed on my son’s open hand as he cooed in delight. I hit the bug away again and he flew onto my chest. Have I mentioned that I hate bugs? I shrieked and batted at the bug only to knock him down my shirt, still holding on to the baby and trying to stay calm I rushed towards my husband, holding out my shirt urging, “Get it out, get it out, get it out.” My little boy immediately began shrieking and crying looking not at the bug….but at me. The bug was eventually eradicated and subsequently squished but what really got to me wasn’t the bug down my shirt but how much my son followed my lead. It really made me think about the example I am setting for him in other aspects of my life. If he is looking to me for the cues on the little things like “what to do when a bug flies down your shirt”, what other more important things is he looking to me for guidance on? What are my actions and reactions in daily life teaching him about being a parent, spouse, employee and Christian? Is my life really a demonstration of the lessons and values I want him to hold dear?

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.
Deuteronomy 11:18-21

Your thoughts?

No comments: