Tuesday, June 27, 2006

On The Prowl

Growing up, my sister and I were fortunate to live in a neighborhood with a whole slew of kids our age. Although I wasn’t the oldest kid on the block, I was the one always organizing activities, from neighborhood parades (think wagons, bicycles, kazoos and toilet paper) to lemonade stands, plays and competitions; I was large and in charge. I was also the one kid that everyone tattled on for being bossy (shocking, I know). After one such incident, when the whole group went to my mom to complain, my mom pulled me aside and said these wise words, “Meagan, bossiness is the devil’s way of turning the gift of leadership into a sin.” Needless to say, I heard that a few hundred times during my childhood (did I also mention that I am a little hard-headed?) but my mom was exactly right.

Reflecting back on that moment and on those special memories, I can’t help but wonder what gifts Satan is trying to use for his purposes in my life today. Scripture tells us that nothing is kept from Satan and that he will use every possible device to accomplish his purposes. Satan not only attacks our weak-links, he has the ability to corrupt even our strengths or spiritual gifts. What gifts of yours is Satan trying to use for his purposes?

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
1 Peter 5:8-9


Your thoughts?

No comments: