Monday, June 26, 2006

Recognition

This afternoon I was sitting in my kitchen working on a project while my son slept peacefully in his crib and my husband mowed the front yard. I really enjoyed the time by myself and was completely wrapped up in my thoughts until I heard my husband finish mowing. As soon as the mower went off, I heard the baby crying that sort of screaming cry that happens after they have been crying a long time. I looked over and realized I had forgotten to turn on the baby monitor and the air conditioner combined with the mower outside my window had prevented me from hearing his cries. I ran into his room and over to his crib and said his name as I scooped him into my arms. As soon as he saw my face, the waterworks turned off like a light switch and he smiled while a final tear rolled down his fat little cheek; he sort of giggled like, “Oh, hey mom, there you are.” I was surprised at how quickly he had recovered. Later on I got to thinking about how desperate his cries had seemed and how just the sound of my voice and the feel of my arms had immediately made him feel safe.

There are so many times in my life when I feel desperate, scared, lonely, or hopeless but often I don’t recognize God’s voice when he calls out to me in comfort. I would imagine that my inability to recognize his voice is a reflection of how well I know him and hope that as I mature in my relationship with him that I will more quickly recognize his voice. May I be as a child who knows his mother’s voice above all others.


O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
Isaiah 30:19;21

Your thoughts?

No comments: