Friday, July 21, 2006

Weak

Those of you who know me, know that I can be very sarcastic. I get it honestly; my whole family is sarcastic and love to tease each other about any and everything. There are definitely times when sarcasm is appropriate and times when it is not and during those times when it is not appropriate, I am learning to keep my sarcastic thoughts to myself. It doesn’t always happen that way, but I am a work in progress.

Just the other night while hanging out at my parent’s house, another family member and I had a miscommunication in which a sarcastic comment was made to me and I snapped right back. After the second round, I stopped. The comments continued in my head and it was literally an act of restraint to keep my mouth shut so I left the room in an effort to remove the temptation. I went on about my business and completely forgot about it and then later apologized to my loved one for letting my tongue get the best of me. Later on that evening, my mom pulled me aside and told me how much growth she saw in my restraint but also pointed out that I should be aware that while removing myself from the situation was a good way of handling the temptation, to an outsider it might look like I was pouting. Whoa, wait a second, pouting? Seriously? I felt totally deflated. Here I was feeling mighty proud of myself for the way I handled the situation only to find out that my actions had a completely different appearance than my intentions. Then I had to ask myself, “Was I pouting?” The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I WAS pouting because what I thought had been the right course of action was not the BEST course of action. I was more concerned with being the bigger person than I was about doing what was right. I was so caught up in patting myself on the back that I didn’t even recognize my arrogance. Oh, the many ways Satan can trap us.

Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.
Mark 14:38


Your thoughts?

No comments: