Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Busy Little Bees

Just a few days ago my husband and I stopped at a fast food restaurant to pick up some food on the way to a friend's house. As we pulled up to pay, my husband rolled down his window and in flew a small bee. My husband shrieked and immediately began batting at the tiny little bug. The bee flew around the cab of our car desperately searching for a way to escape the flailing. As the bee approached my husband's head, Travis ripped off his seatbelt, threw open the door and jumped out of the car. Both the cashier and I were laughing hysterically as my husband thrashed and flailed about before jumping back in the car and rolling up the window as quickly as possible. It amazes me that a grown man, capable of squashing that small bee with two fingers, would be so afraid of a little bug. The same man who fearlessly enters burning buildings and precarious situations on a daily basis so afraid of a "predator" not even worthy of being called an opponent.

I think sometimes in the church body we get so focused on the "little bees" (the complainers, the bickerers, the "politicians" and those with negative attitudes) that we spend all of our focus on keeping the peace and wind up being too tuckered out to spiritually form those "bees". I am constantly amazed at the prevalence of triangulation in the church today and how Satan can so quickly turn the body against itself. You know what I am talking about; Person A is upset about something Person B said or did and instead of approaching them about it they go and talk to Person C (triangle). Oh how Satan keeps us busy to prevent spiritual formation and work in the kingdom! How does Satan distract you from kingdom work?

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.
1 Corinthians 1:10

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Becky said...

My personal favorite is when you do something new and one person complains, but 999 people don't mention that they like it, so you are told to stop doing it!

Meagan said...

So true!

Love you!

SP