Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Friendly

My husband and I had been dating a year and a half when I flew to Nebraska one Christmas to meet his family. Still in the airport I made a quick stop in the ladies room before we made the three hour drive to his grandmother's house. The restroom was empty so I primped in the mirror and then chose a stall to "take care of business". Suddenly I heard someone say, "Sure is cold outside." I held my breath, surprised that someone else was in the restroom, and listened quietly for the response from the other person in the conversation but I heard nothing but silence. I heard the voice again a little louder this time, "Sure is cold outside!" I sat very still, waiting to here if the other person would answer and then I saw it, the hand underneath my stall. "Helloooooooo neighbor!" the hand waved vigorously underneath the wall, "Anybody in there?" I gasped in shock and she continued, "Weatherman said the wind chill would be negative tonight. Can you believe that? Haven't seen snow like this 'round these parts in years!" Suddenly I realized she was standing outside my stall. I exited to wash my hands as she propped her elbow on the counter and continued, "Well golly, you're gonna freeze in that coat! You must not be from 'round here, where ya from?" I smiled nervously as I quietly replied. She continued to talk as she followed me all the way to the terminal where my ride was waiting and as I walked away she shouted, "Nice talking to ya!". At the time I laughed quietly to myself because I had literally said one word: Texas.

Looking back, I have a lot of admiration for the woman from the restroom because I am not the kind of person who will start up a conversation with a complete stranger. Because I'm such an introvert I've discovered that one of the hardest parts of being a new mother has been the unsolicited attention it brings in public places; just a few weeks ago, while in the airport, I had four complete strangers engage me with conversations about my baby. I can't help but wonder how different my spiritual walk would be if I were to start up conversations with people I didn't know. I wonder how many people would be open to hearing God's message if I would just take the first step?

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
I Peter 3:14-16

Your thoughts?

No comments: