Friday, September 22, 2006

In A Rut

I was born without a single solitary competitive bone; my siblings got all of them. When I was a kid, both my sister and my brother would beg me to race them until I finally gave in. We’d line up, someone would say “go” and both of them would break into a sprint, practically sweating blood trying to win. I, on the other hand, giggled the whole time I jogged behind them.

I played sports in both junior high and high school but didn’t pursue them seriously because I really didn’t care whether we won or lost. I still remember how mad my basketball coach got when I giggled at the huge vein in his forehead instead of listening intently as he gave us instructions to win. I am not the kind of person to push myself physically; anytime I’ve accomplished something significant athletically it has been because someone else pushed me. After the birth of my son I had a lot of weight to lose before I could fit into the bridesmaid dress my friend picked out for her wedding. I knew immediately that the only way it was going to happen is if someone else pushed me. I joined an exercise club at my local gym AND paid money to be a part of the club. All I can say is that I totally credit our team leader, Summer, for the weight that I lost because without her pushing me (sometimes literally) I just wouldn’t have even bothered. It was hard to get started but the accountability (Summer), plus with the commitment (I paid for it), combined with the habit (took about 6 weeks but it did become habit) and now I actually enjoy working out and find that I AM able to push myself.

There have been many times in my life when I’ve found myself in a rut spiritually. I know that I should be pursuing a relationship with God or praying or studying the Bible but I just can’t get started. Sometimes all it takes is a little accountability, a commitment, and a habit to get out of the rut and move closer to the cross. How do you handle a spiritual rut?

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14


Your thoughts?

4 comments:

Connie Lard said...

What a delight to find someone else who seems to be as noncompetitive as I am! It puts one at a distinct disadvantage in this society of driven competitors, especially during football season. You and I must be kindred spirits, at least in this area!

Bethany said...

It's so true that Americans often don't take something seriously unless they have to pay for it. That investment is a motivation to not waste the money spent. So how do we motivate ourselves to be better Christians when God offers his love and grace so freely?

Danny (my youth pastor husband) just gave a challenge to his teens for the next 30 days. He challenged them every day to get on their knees to pray before bed and read at least one word from the Bible every day. He originally wasn't planning to do the challenge himself, but I argued that we can't expect the kids to do something we wouldn't do ourselves! The motivation to be a good example for the kids, the accountability of doing this together, and the goal of doing this for 30 days straight have helped us stay on track. Otherwise we get too busy, too tired, or too distracted to set aside prayer time and Bible reading every night before bed.

By the way, I relate completely to being non-competitive...except when it comes to football!

Love, Bethany

Meagan said...

Connie -

You are so right and it is nice to know I have a kindred spirit out there! Thanks for stopping by.

Meg

Meagan said...

Bethany,

That is so great that you and Danny are leading by example - keep up the good work. Oh, and you didn't have to clarify with the football statement...we ALL KNOW how competitive you are when it comes to football..it is like you are possessed.

Love you!

Meg