Friday, September 08, 2006

Earshot

I was in earshot of the conversation. It only took a couple of seconds before I realized that the man was talking about me; the insults, the criticism, the cynicism, the sarcasm all directed towards me, my ministry, and the church’s assets. As I turned toward the conversation I assumed that he would realize that I could hear him and mumble something neutral or benign but instead he began to talk louder, finally turning to me and lashing out his harsh words directly to me. As I opened my mouth to respond, he turned and quickly walked away.

I think so often we feel that the we deserve the blessings God gives us or that he owes us blessings and then when he takes them away or we feel we deserve more blessings or better blessings we get angry or indignant. There is a song that we sing in church called Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord in which there is a verse that says, “You give and take away, my heart will choose to say, “Lord Blessed Be your Name’ . How would your perspective change if you began to think of your blessings and your possessions of God’s instead of yours?

Jonah went out and sat down at a place east of the city. There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city. Then the LORD God provided a vine and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade for his head to ease his discomfort, and Jonah was very happy about the vine. But at dawn the next day God provided a worm, which chewed the vine so that it withered. When the sun rose, God provided a scorching east wind, and the sun blazed on Jonah's head so that he grew faint. He wanted to die, and said, "It would be better for me to die than to live." But God said to Jonah, "Do you have a right to be angry about the vine?" "I do," he said. "I am angry enough to die." But the LORD said, "You have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?"
Jonah 4:5-11

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always breaks our hearts when we hear criticism, but it is especially hurtful when it comes from our brothers & sisters in Christ. I see how the HOCC staff is genuinely committed, joyful and hard working. I find it hard to imagine how someone can be so harsh and critical about the work being done that benefits each and every member of our church. Keep up the good work and remember, "What then shall we say to these things? If God be for us who can be against us?"
KAbston (Kaki)

Meagan said...

K -

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I used to find it so hurtful to receive criticism from brothers and sisters in Christ because I really expected more from them. I have to remind myself that I am so often in desperate need of God's grace and I should I be willing to extend that grace in the same manner that He does every day. Thanks for stopping by!!

Meg