Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Attacker

As a teenager I lived for summers and the chance to hang out with my friends, stay up late, have sleep-overs and attend church summer camps. One summer after attending camp I returned home to find that my mom had used the entire week to do some serious cleaning and rearranging in every room of the house. It was late and my brother and sisters had already gone to bed so I didn't really have a chance to look around and see all that she had done so I went straight to my room and began to get ready for bed. As I worked through my nightly routine, I padded towards the kitchen to get a glass of water, just as I did every night, but as I turned the corner from the hall to the kitchen I was overpowered by something large, heavy and covered in slick plastic. I fell backwards under the weight of the thing, and frantically crawled backwards on all fours trying to get out from under the 'attacker'. I freed myself, ran to the light switch and discovered my attacker; my mom's fake ficus tree that had apparently been moved in the spring cleaning.

Looking back on that moment I can't help but laugh at how frightened I was of something so benign but the experience serves for a great lesson. So often I begin to feel comfortable with the way that Satan tempts me, sure that I know the attacks he has planned and how to appropriately thwart them that I don't even realize that I am walking with spiritual blinders on. I have to remind myself that the devil will never stop pursuing me and that I am to be alert for his attacks in whatever form they may come.

Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against
the devil's schemes.
Ephesians 6:11

Your thoughts?

No comments: