Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Thief

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I couldn't have been more than 10 or 11 years old and I was home alone watching television in our family den while my dad ran down the street to pick up my little sister from a friend's house. The chair where I was laying on my stomach was about 10 feet from the large solid glass door to the patio on the side of our house. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move and I turned to see a man walking down our driveway towards the alley where the gate to our backyard was. Knowing people walked down our alley all the time I turned back to watch my program. A few minutes later the motion caught my eye again and I saw the man walking from the direction of our backyard carrying my dad's compressor. I watched in slow motion as he walked off of our property, put the compressor in the back of his truck, and drove away. Even at the tender age of 10 or 11 I could feel something wasn't quite right and when my dad returned a few minutes later I recounted the story to him just before he ran outside to discover someone had stolen his compressor in broad daylight while I watched from the den. He was upset, understandably, but was so thankful that the man had only ventured into the backyard and not into our house where I was alone and defenseless.

So many times in my life I've seen Satan work in the same way that thief did many years ago. Satan and his sinful ways just mosey on in as casual and as harmless-looking as can be but before you know it the damage is done. How does Satan draw you into thinking sin is harmless?

Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come.
Luke 17:1-3

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

Dionna said...

Very thought-provoking (and true) post.

Meagan said...

Dionna -

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Stop back by any time.

Meg

Anonymous said...

Very poignant..... It's something that I was just talking about the other day with the Young Adult Group I run... that we let our guard down when things are going great and we tend to back of the prayers when all is good... So all is great and there is light but that is when Satan walks in and starts trouble.. our guard and pray life is down or even we just don't expect it because there is this light there... thanks for making me realize this again...

Meagan said...

Jim -

That is so true and something we are probably all guilty of at some point in our lives. Thanks for stopping by.

Meg