Friday, October 06, 2006

Terrible, Horrible, No-good, Very Bad Day

Yesterday when my son woke me up at 5 am after I had only been asleep two hours, I knew the day was starting off badly. By the time I reached Little Man's mother's day out program I realized I had left both his and my lunch at home. As I walked into the office after scrambling together some leftovers from the day before I was bombarded with three "emergency" help tickets. I paused quickly to grab a cup of coffee to fend off the massive headache taking residence in my head. As I walked out of the break room I tripped, spilling the cup of coffee down the front of my white shirt. I dabbed frantically at the setting stain as I rushed down the stairs to take care of the first help ticket and as I reached the middle landing I tripped on my own ankle and fell against the wall. Stop laughing; I am not making this stuff up. An hour later I finally sat down for my lunch meeting when I got a call from the mother's day out program downstairs because my son was having what they called "a bad day". I rushed downstairs and bent down to pick up my little man before I realized his hands were covered in creamed squash which he subsequently rubbed onto both of my sleeves from shoulder to elbow. I took him upstairs to sit with me while I ate lunch only to discover I had left the lid off of my water bottle so that when I handed it to him to play with he dumped a large portion of it onto my lap. Knowing I only had about 30 minutes until I was scheduled to run a training session for some of our Elders, I went to the office of the minister with whom I would be doing the training to warn him of my current state of affairs. The look on his face when I walked in his office confirmed the severity of the mess that I had become and he mercifully loaned me a t-shirt to wear in favor of my food-covered smock.

I am sorry to say that it wasn't even 1:00pm and already the day had gone horribly wrong. As I tried desperately to keep a positive attitude despite the day's mishaps I found it amazing how something as simple as a clean shirt made me feel like I might be able to reclaim the day for something good. Looking back I am reminded of how wonderful it is to have a Savior who can wipe away all of the days mistakes. I come to him in a filthy, bloody, sin-covered shirt and he says, "Here, let me take that, here is a brand new one, no charge." Sing with me.

Are you washed in the blood, In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb? Are your garments spotless? Are they white as snow? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?


Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Christopher Green said...

Sounds like you had "a bad week yesterday." Hoping today was some better...

Meagan said...

Christopher -

It sure felt like that day was a week long! The shirt loaner was the start of a much better day.

Meg

Meagan said...

Angi -

You are so right - isn't God wonderful? Thanks for stopping by...come back any time!

Meg

Bethany said...

What a day and what a story! I had a similar incident involving ketchup (it was in my hair, INSIDE my purse and all over my back) and got a t-shirt loan that day as well. I can relate to the clean shirt relief but didn't take the time to apply it spiritually. After you made the connection it seems so obvious and fits perfectly! You really have a gift!

Meagan said...

Bethany -
It sounds like you had the same kind of day I did! I'd love to say that the analogies come easily but it really is a spiritual discipline that I am slowly trying to incorporate into my walk. Thanks so much for the encouragement - it means much!

Meg