Friday, October 20, 2006

In His Hands

My image of God has changed a lot over the years.

When I was younger, I imagined God to be like my grandfather: old, slow, wise, and very strict. Looking back, I think I imagined God in this way because my grandfather was very much a spiritual leader in our family and a spiritual leader of the church. I cannot remember a single Sunday morning or night when my grandfather was not up in front of the church, leading or serving in some way. Even when I decided I wanted to be baptized, my grandfather insisted that I take a written test to see if I knew enough about the Bible to be baptized. I was eight years old and very intimidated. To this day, remnants of that “side” of God stay in my mind.

I now see God as more of a provider, Jehovah Jireh. It seems as though no matter where I am spiritually, no matter how weak, how strong, the Lord provides for me. He speaks to me in so many ways and makes it evident that He is taking care of me. I sometimes think that I am in control of my life, that I decide where I am going and what I am doing, thinking that God is “providing” for me. However, God is most evident in my life when I do not get my way, when things do not go as planned. Even in my frustration and disappointment, God is providing for me. God is providing HIS way.

I see God as an all-knowing provider who loves me and works to the good of me because I love Him and want to obey Him. It is weird to think about it sometimes, to praise God that I did not get into the college I wanted to attend, to praise God that I did not make the singing group I wanted to be in, to praise God that I was not able to go on another International program, to praise God for all my disappointments. Then I stop. I look at my life, where I am, and where I am going. I look at my husband and at our son. I look at the opportunities that have been laid before us, I look at our new home, our church, our calling to ministry, and I am awestruck. Wow! This is so much better than what I planned!

God really is in control, isn’t He?

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
Proverbs 3:5-6

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”
Psalm 139:15-16

How do you imagine God?

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Christopher Green said...

Energy (boundless), Light (perfect), Power (infinite), Love (amazing).

Meagan said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

Meg