Thursday, October 05, 2006

On Our Side

Several years ago, my family took a trip up to Kansas City to spend the Christmas holidays with my sister and her husband. While traveling home to Texas in a two car caravan, my husband and I received a call from my dad over the two-way radio. "Travis, we've pulled over on the side of the road. Pull over and follow me." My husband gave me a puzzled look as we pulled over and then Travis got out and walked to my dad's vehicle. Several minutes later he returned and both of our cars pulled on to a side road, made a u-turn and began heading in the opposite direction. I asked my husband what was going on and he said, "Your dad said that there is a grass fire a little ways back and we are going to check it out." I sat there in silence, completely confused, and asked "And why are we doing that?" he looked at me and said, "I have no idea but it might be kinda cool!" My husband had just graduated from the fire academy three weeks before and was so excited about beginning a career in the fire service that he even brought his fire scanner on the trip so he could listen to fire radio traffic during the drive. We rounded the corner and drove up towards a grass fire the size of a pretty good-sized house. My dad called Travis on the radio and said, "Grab your fire extinguisher." I burst out laughing; my husband's travel fire extinguisher is the size of a loaf of French bread and based on what I've seen of his academy fires his little fire extinguisher would hardly be able to put out a small stove fire.

I think we, as Christians, make this same mistake far too often. When dealing with addiction, sin, and unholy behavior we foolishly believe that we can overcome by sheer will or determination. Like my husband's tiny fire extinguisher against the massive grassfire, we are helpless in the sight of sin if we do not have Christ fighting for us.

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgression it is by grace that you have been saved.
Ephesians 2:4-7

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From someone who is just starting to realize how inadequate her little fire extinguisher is, great post!

Renee

Meagan said...

Sweet Renee,

It is amazing how often I am humbled by life's little lessons...my fire extinguisher looks so much bigger than it actually is. Thanks for stopping by!

Meg

Amydeanne said...

The only thing I'd add though is that sometimes it really only does take the small extinguisher when we dream we need a big one (not talking about your grass fire though lol).. it's just actually acting on the Word, instead of watching from the sidelines.
Great post!

Meagan said...

Jake -

Thanks so much for stopping by. Feel free to use the story however you see fit....anything for the glory of God's kingdom!

Meg

Meagan said...

Amydeanne -

Great point - thanks for adding your two cents! Come back any time!

Meg