Monday, October 16, 2006

The Little Things

My little boy is nine months old, mobile, and into everything. I've become well versed in the art of distraction making sure that I have him occupied with something he enjoys before I try to do anything productive in the means of housework including dedicating one of the cabinets in our kitchen to toys and Tupperware so he can play while I cook dinner. Lately, however, he has become fascinated with me loading and unloading the dishwasher, unloading the dryer, and vacuuming; nothing can distract him when I am doing one of those activities. At first I found his new attention annoying because he wasn't just interested, he wanted to be involved: pulling out dishes on his own, pulling clothes out of the dryer, or riding on the vacuum cleaner (yes, you read that right) but after some thought I realized I was missing out on an opportunity to teach him about housework by trying to keep him from "helping". As I began to encourage him to take the non-breakable items out of the dishwasher and hand them to me or to pull clothes out of the dryer into the basket or use the time to teach colors or shapes I realized I was missing out on an even bigger opportunity, the opportunity to teach biblical principles. I was instantly reminded of something one of our children's ministers once told me, "Teaching babies and toddlers about the Bible is so much easier than parents imagine. Telling them 'Jesus loves you' is a devotional for their little hearts and minds so keep it simple but keep it part of every day." Suddenly housework has become less about the task of keeping a house and more about using the task of keeping a house to reinforce the biblical principles I am trying to instill in my son. The real bonus for me is that as I aspire to become a Proverbs 31 wife I am finding that I keeping my house is less of an obligation and more of a privilege and something I do to honor my husband and son. How do you find purpose in the every day?

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her.

Proverbs 31 (selected verses)

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just found your blog and its such a blessing to read...

Meagan said...

Jim -

Thank you for the encouragement - come back any time.

Meg