Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Watches of the night

I’ve heard it every night for the past ten months; the sweet, innocent, cat-like wail emanating from the room next to mine. Not a scream, not a cry, just a singular “mmmooaaaar” calling out into the darkness. That solitary sound grabs my attention more than any actual crying or screaming because I know what my son wants: reassurance. He is calling out into the darkness for someone to remind him that he is not alone, to reach out to him, put his pacifier back in his mouth, tuck his lovey under his head and pull the covers up over him again. Within seconds he is deep asleep again.

Can’t you relate?

I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word. My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises. Hear my voice in accordance with your love; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your laws.
Psalm 119:147-149

Your thoughts?

No comments: