Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Believe It Or Not

I know you’ve heard it before, “Wow, you really look tired today! Is everything ok?” or “Whoa, did the baby keep you up last night? Don’t fall asleep on us now!” or “Are you feeling ok? You don’t look so good.” I remember a morning a few months ago, when a friend and co-worker popped his head in my office to say good morning just moments after I had heard many of the above mentioned comments. He smiled when he saw me and said something the effect of, “I just have to tell you that I think it is so great that you feel comfortable enough to come to work without makeup on, with your hair pulled back au natural. That is so cool that you are comfortable in your skin.” He smiled again as he turned to leave but I frowned. What should have been a taken as a compliment came across as something else because I’d already heard from others how dreadful I was looking despite the fact that I WAS wearing makeup and had gone to great lengths to fix my hair that morning. I’d love to say that I was able to laugh it off and not let it bother me but the truth is that it bothered me for days, so much so that I actually found myself getting up earlier to make sure that no one else accused me of being sleep-deprived or au natural again.

I’d love to say that I don’t feel pressured to look a ‘certain way’ but it would be a lie. I may not always accomplish the look I’m going for but I am definitely concerned about my appearance. As a woman I feel and have always felt the pressures; the pressure to be thin, tall, beautiful, have flawless skin, have a sparkling personality, endless knowledge, dress sharply with perfect accessories all while balancing a ‘career’, keeping an immaculate home and raising a perfect child. It’s funny, no really, it’s funny because deep down inside I actually want to believe it is possible, but if I’m honest with myself I have to realize that not only are those standards ungodly, they are unrealistic and full of the lies society and Satan are trying to deceive me with. Just the other day I saw this video that my good friend sent me via email and this website * that shows before/after photos of retouched photos and was instantly reminded of this article about Jami Lee Curtis and suddenly felt compelled to repent. Why? Because I not only believe the lies that I see every day, I foolishly aspire to live them in my own life.

I’m sure you’ve heard me say before that I am an aspiring Proverbs 31 wife and this week I had to remind myself of that and the standards that God expects me to live up to. May God forgive me for settling for something less. What lies do you believe?

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
1 Peter 3:3-4

Your thoughts?

*contains some suggestive photos

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow, that website was really an eye-opener! Thanks for sharing. I needed that dose of reality.

Anonymous said...

I responded twice this am on this post and neither posted...what am I doing wrong?? I posted on some of your previous ones last night and they posted.
KAbston

Meagan said...

K -

I am not sure - I'd have to see from your pov.

Meg

Anonymous said...

Wow, Meagan, that website was really shocking. I "knew" that celebrities had their pictures touched up, but it never hit home until I saw the before and afters. I saw all the ways their bodies creased and wrinkled and was grossed out... until I remembered that that's just the way our bodies work! I feel like I should know that better than most, since I coach gymnastics, but I guess I needed the reminder that not even the gorgeous people of the world can meet society's standards of beauty.

And by the way, I have always thought of you as one of the most gorgeous women I've ever met.

Meagan said...

Bhall-

Enlightening isn't it? How grateful I am to know that there is only one opinion that matters - God's!

Megozmgys

Meagan said...

Grace -

Perspective sure does clear things up doesn't it? Thanks so much for the compliment - you are a gem.

Meg