Thursday, November 30, 2006

Wag More, Bark Less

My senior year of high school, our school president decided it would be a good idea for all high school students to spend a portion of their senior year doing service hours for the community. Many students volunteered to help out with paperwork in the front office or clean up trash around the campus but I got permission to volunteer at the nearby retirement home.

At first I really enjoyed the work because I started out in the assisted living division delivering packages, magazines, and mail but after some time my supervisor moved me to the nursing home division so that I could be a wing 'companion'. At first I just made door-to-door visits replenishing water cups and ice chips but as I became a more 'permanent' face on the floor the residents began to trust me and even confide in me thus moving me into the 'companion' role. Most of the time I really enjoyed making my rounds and spent many an hour laughing, singing, listening, playing chicken foot, and just being a much needed friend to some very lonely people, but more often that not I left the nursing home emotionally and physically exhausted because of the negativity I channeled by being a listening ear. Don't get me wrong, I love the opportunity to learn from other's experiences but those opportunities were actually pretty rare because most of the listening involved complaints about the staff or accommodations, venting about family members, or just really detailed accounts regarding health problems or the aging process. There was, however, one woman in particular that made every day spent in the nursing home a complete joy. Eunice was an 84-year-old diabetic woman who had recently had both of her legs removed and was by far the most energetic, optimistic person I have ever encountered who, despite great personal set backs from her health and age, never let the obstacles influence her attitude. She was a joy in my life and a dear friend who was fond of saying, "Wag more, bark less." I'll never forget the day I came to visit on my day off and found her room empty. I sought out the floor nurse to inquire about my friend and the look on the nurse's face made my heart sank as I realized the news she was trying to break to me. I cried the whole way home and resolved never to return thinking I couldn't handle the heartache of developing friendships only to lose them unexpectedly. As I thought about Eunice's life and the credo that she lived by every day I realized by not returning I would miss the opportunity to develop the kind of relationship I had with Eunice.

I've been doing a lot of complaining for the past few weeks because of stress, health, finances, and every other thing that has stolen my joy. As I sat at the family Thanksgiving table this weekend I was struck by the blessing of having all of my family sitting at one table together, relatively healthy, and in good spirits. In that moment I was reminded of Eunice and the way that she found the good in every situation and I realized how much I've been 'barking' and how little I've been 'wagging'. Thank you, Eunice, for your words of wisdom and the much needed reminder to rejoice in all circumstances.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Your thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another good, thought provoking post Meag!! It is so hard to wag more and bark less at times because we are so human. I do know satan is continually trying to steal our joy at every turn we make. We should all take a life lesson from Eunice and rejoice in all circumstances.
KAbston

Adelle said...

Meagan, your posts always move me, but this one left me in tears. My heart aches for your burdens - I feel a kinship with you simply for our similar situations in life and I try to picture myself going through what you have gone through...and I just can't. Yet you keep God as your North Star, and keep swimming in the right direction. Thank you for the beautiful example of commitment and faith you are setting for me and so many others.
I suffered from horrible anxiety-driven insomnia (postpartum) for almost a year...I could not have survived without professional (and prescription) help. I sleep soundly now, and thank God for it every morning, but there was a time when I was lucky to get three or four hours a night. It's a terrible feeling, and truly made me feel on the verge of insanity and despair. I didn't ask for help for far too long, but when I did, Thank the Dear Lord, I was able to cope and begin to sleep again. It took nine months for my body to readjust, and begin sleeping normally without medication, but it did happen. Don't be afraid to ask for help, to take the meds, and do what you need to do to get the rest your body needs.
You and your boys are in my prayers!

Bethany said...

There's a difference between complaining for the sake of complaining, and sharing burdens when you are really struggling or facing difficult challenges. Life has been hitting you hard lately, and I really appreciate your honesty in these posts so I know how to be praying for you.

I also appreciate your determination to see the positive, even when you might be entitled to some good self-pity! What a great quote from your friend Eunice, and I'm glad for the reminder that even when barking is warranted, wagging is preferred.

Love you and am praying for you and your family.

Meagan said...

Bhall -

So true - thanks for sharing your two cents.

Meg

Meagan said...

Adelle -

You are a friend - no matter the distance. Thanks so much for your encouragement for for the reference on your page.

Meg

Meagan said...

Thanks Kaki -

Always a pleasure to have you stop by!

Meg