Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Change

For about the past month and a half my husband’s health has been declining. Because the decline has been gradual it hasn’t been nearly as noticeable to me as it has to those around me. Looking back I can’t believe the changes he has undergone because they’ve happened in such small increments. When he announced to me that he had lost almost 30 lbs in the past weeks despite eating enough food for two or three people I was shocked to the point of disbelief. I mean I’ve noticed that his clothes were fitting differently and that his face was looking thinner and his eyes more prominent but it wasn’t until people at church began asking me if everything was ok that I really began to notice how much he had changed.

No worries, nothing too serious, just a thyroid disorder and since the thyroid affects just about everything he has a lot of symptoms. The most amazing part of this experience has been how many people have shown concern for us. Most have assumed that were having troubles at home (Graves disease causes the eyes to bulge and water constantly so my husband always looks like he has been crying) so it has been a really positive experience to know that so many have the courage to step out on our friendship and ask such personal questions about our relationship. Praise God for friends and believers who care more about us as a couple than the awkwardness of confrontation.

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart,
and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel.
Proverbs 27:9

Thoughts?

9 comments:

Meagan said...

GrannyChris -

Thanks so much for the information - it is valued!

Meg

Bethany said...

Megs,
You guys and especially Travis's health are in my prayers. Keep us posted on progress and how we can be praying.
I'm so glad that there are people close by who are loving on you right now. Hugs from California!
Love, Bhall

Adelle said...

my heart stopped beating while i read this...and i'm so glad that there is a solution to his health problems. what shook me is the very thought that as young wives, our husbands - our mighty towers of strenghth and support that we rely on so enormously, even at their young age - are fallible. i don't like that thought one bit. illness is for the elderly, right? (not!) i can't imagine what you have been through these past weeks. i'm saying a little prayer for you today, a prayer of thanks that God has shed some light on his illness and provided a solution, and a prayer for rest and peace for you both.

Meagan said...

Bethany -

Thanks so much for the prayers and hugs - both are needed!

Love you!

Meg

Meagan said...

Adelle -

As always, thanks so much for your words and your prayers. Both are greatly appreciated.

Meg

Becky said...

I am so grateful that you now know what it is and how to treat it. I am praying for Trav and for the added complication of the ulcer on his cornea. God bless you both.

Alison said...

My thoughts are with your family and I hope that Travis starts feeling better soon! Please let me know if you guys need anything at all.

Alison

Meagan said...

Thanks mom

Meagan said...

Alison -

Thanks so much - you are great!

Meg