Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Traditions and Legacies



"God has delivered us, He has parted waters for us, He has made water gush forth from rocks and sent us our own manna from heaven. He has brought us into our own Promised Land. Will I miss the opportunity to tell the story to our children?"
~ Ann Voskamp, Holy Experience ~


As the holidays approach, I’ve found myself thinking a lot about legacies and traditions. My husband and I are at a really fun stage of holiday planning because our son is young enough that he doesn’t have any expectations and because we haven’t been married long enough or lived in one place long enough to have established a holiday routine. I see nothing but opportunity before me; the opportunity to create what will become our beloved family traditions, the opportunity to intentionally shape the experiences that will ultimately shape my son, and the opportunity to infuse God in every part of our plans. While I know that my son’s spiritual development will most likely not be shaped by the one or two religious holidays in a year, I love the chance to be proactive in my planning instead of reactive and am grateful for the chance to intentionally plan these important landmarks. What holiday traditions most influenced who you are today and how did your family infuse God into your traditions?

These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
Deuteronomy 6:6-8

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

CJ said...

We are in similiar circumstances as far as the oppurtunities ahead of us! I am giddy at the options available! I cannot wait to buld new traditions for my children to carry with them throughout their lives!

Meagan said...

TIC -

Isn't it exciting?!?! I'd love to hear what you guys have planned, if you have time.

Meg

Bethany said...

Danny and I are enjoying our first Christmas as a married couple, and so far it's been all joyful and fun! We haven't bumped into a lot of the typical newlywed issues as often happens when you try to blend two family traditions. Let's hope we can keep blending our traditions without conflict.

This weekend Danny went with my family to our annual Christmas tree day. Every year we drive into the mountains to a tree farm and cut down our tree. As the family grows, we bring more and more cars and bring home more and more trees!As my hubby and I were decorating our first Christmas tree, we added ornaments from his childhood, my childhood (can you believe I have a Rainbow Bright ornament? haha) and new ornaments we bought this year. Our tree is now the perfect blend of both our pasts and some new things we picked out together.

Enjoy Little Man's semi-first Christmas. Since he was two days old last Christmas I don't think it counts. Have a blast!

Amydeanne said...

hey! It's wonderful and sometimes hard to cut out your own traditions, but it's well worth it! Enjoy it!