Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Growth Spurt

My son has never been much of sleeper; sleeping is inconsistent and ineffective at best. Early on we discovered that he would sleep longer if held or if someone slept with him and although we were tempted to let him co-sleep we decided that it was best for him to learn to sleep on his own and save the snuggle time for naps and church. Lately, however, he has been sleeping non-stop, sometimes even falling asleep while sitting up! Yesterday when he took four two-hour naps after having slept 10 hours the night before, I began to get worried. I talked to his pediatrician who assured me that everything was fine, "Babies grow when they are sleeping so if he hasn't had a growth spurt in a while he might just be working on a big one" she assured me.

What a concept. I've always thought of spiritual growth as a time when I am trying new things, stepping out of my comfort zone, or seeking to learn more about God but never as a time of rest. God found rest so vital that he not only took a day to rest himself but implemented a day of rest for the Jews. I wonder how much I would grow if I took the time to rest in God?

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust".
Psalm 91:1-2

Your thoughts?

6 comments:

Christopher Green said...

Without restful contemplation, we simply continue replicating the same behaviors of our lesser selves. However with time to reflect, we find the vantage point from which the vision for change is launched.

Great thought! Rest and reflect well.

Adelle said...

i love your musings...and this is so true. sorta explains why retreats are so effective and important to spiritual renewal. and i would be terrified too if my Little Dude started sleeping all day (for the moment, grateful, but then terrified!) better get out the next box of clothes...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Meagan, this is an amazing thought. Whenever people talk about spiritual growth, it's always from the perspective of fighting and struggling and DOING -- doing new things, doing different things, doing more things... What a concept that to grow we may just need to be still and know that He is God!

I always enjoyed your family blog, but your personal blog is a real spiritual resource that God opened up to me at a time when I was needing a spiritual mentor. Thanks for paving the way!

Meagan said...

CG -

So true...thanks for sharing

Meg

Meagan said...

Adelle -

You are so sweet and always encouraging me and I appreciate it. Stop by any time.

Meg

Meagan said...

Grace -

Welcome stranger! I had no idea you stopped by these parts! Thanks so much for the 2 cents and the encouragement. You are great.

Meg