Thursday, November 02, 2006

Uncommon

The other day my brother sent me this really interesting series of pictures and the accompanying story (don’t stop reading).

In a zoo in California, a mother tiger gave birth to a rare set of triplet tiger cubs. Unfortunately, due to complications in the pregnancy, the cubs were born prematurely and due to their tiny size, they died shortly after birth. The mother tiger after recovering from the delivery, suddenly started to decline in health, although physically she was fine. The veterinarians felt that the loss of her litter had caused the tigress to fall into a depression. The doctors decided that if the tigress could surrogate another mother's cubs, perhaps she would improve. After checking with many other zoos across the country, the depressing news was that there were no tiger cubs of the right age to introduce to the mourning mother. The veterinarians decided to try something that had never been tried in a zoo environment. Sometimes a mother of one species will take on the care of a different species but the only "orphans" that could be found quickly, were a litter of wiener pigs. The zoo keepers and vets wrapped the piglets in tiger skin and placed the babies around the mother tiger. Would they become cubs or pork chops?

Take a look ...”

Ever the skeptic I immediately went to my trusty snopes.com to find out the validity of the entire thing and was surprised to find out the pictures were not only real, the story only had minor inaccuracies.

I am drawn to the pictures because they are so unusual and yet conceptually they really shouldn’t be ... isn’t this what we, as Christians, are called to do every single day? To reach out to the motherless, the friendless, the hopeless and draw them into the fold of Christ?

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way,
You command the attention of the world"

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Your thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made me cry again!! Any stories about animals really get to me. May this always remind me to draw in the hopeless to my Heavenly Father. I hope this teaches me to be uncommon and show the world around me how Christ lived, walked & breathed.
KAbston

Bethany said...

These pictures are precious! This reminds me of the Christian art that shows a lion and a lamb snuggled together. Our God is the King of the Universe and the good shepherd at the same time. The powerful lion who cares for the helpless lamb. You don't find that often in nature!

Anonymous said...

Awww! That is such a great story! I love it and it is a testament of how we should be.

Morgandy

Meagan said...

K -

I am such a softie for animals too and I am sorry to admit many times I need reminders of the love that I am supposed to live towards the PEOPLE in my life. Thanks for stopping by and for sharing!

Meg

Meagan said...

Bethany -

Love those images - thanks for the reminder!

Meg

Meagan said...

Mo -

Isn't that great?? Thanks for stopping by!

Meg