Monday, July 03, 2006

Blindsided

A recent episode of Oprah featured “The 20 hamburgers you must have before you die.” Intrigued by this, my husband and I began to figure out how to work in these hamburgers as we travel. I am not married to the list, and I have my own personal favorites that didn’t make the list such as In and Out or Jakks, but it is a lot of fun trying the best of the best. I recently made a quick stop at Jakks for their famous cheeseburger and as I was driving away, mouth watering, unwrapped the thin paper with glee and took a gigantic bite. About 3 chews in it hit me…my mouth is on fire!!! Spewing and spitting, I clawed for my drink and gulped desperately as the pain only seemed to increase. After the pain subsided several minutes later, I opened up the burger to find out what was causing the blaze in my mouth and found my nemesis: Jalapeños. Ok, so I am a lightweight when it comes to spicy food, but there is nothing worse than gearing up for one thing and being blindsided by something painful and unpleasant.

Working in ministry is sometimes a two headed beast; occasionally, as I am preparing for worship or looking forward to Christian fellowship, I am blindsided by someone’s thoughtless critique of my ministry or a hurtful comment about someone or something regarding the church body. Absorbing criticism, whether just or unjust, is always difficult and in those moments I feel frustrated and discouraged and confess that many times I have been so distracted by the “jalapeño” that I wasn’t able to enjoy the “burger” if you know what I mean. I really have two choices when someone in our church body displays a more human than godly side or dumps their anxiety on me; I can let it burn me up and keep me from enjoying my ministry or I can choose to spend some time praying for that person and hand the problem over to the Lord. May I never seek to rely on my own strength but on the strength of my Heavenly Father whose power is immeasurable.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:6-8

Your thoughts?

No comments: