Thursday, July 20, 2006

Two Steps Backwards

Tonight I watched from a distance as my mom played on the floor with my six-month-old son. Little man has been up on all fours trying to crawl for awhile now but just can’t figure out how to make all of his limbs work together. Despite his best efforts he only moves in one direction, backwards. So to help him work out the logistics, my mom got down on the floor with him, put a bunch of toys out in front of him and then got behind him to help him work through the steps one by one. At first she had him using opposite arms and legs but then she thought that maybe they were supposed to go simultaneously; confused she finally just moved over and crawled on her own (to figure out which one was right) and then went back to help him figure it out. Twenty minutes later he got to try it on his own and crawled…backwards, again.

I can completely relate. Sometimes, despite my best efforts I only seem to be moving backwards, away from where I want to be spiritually. At those moments when I feel frustrated and incapable I have to remind myself to refocus on the one who can perfect me in my weakness.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3

Your thoughts?

No comments: