Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Not A Word

A couple of days ago I attended a large party with a number of friends and family members. While eating dinner, a couple of the girls at my table began talking about a mutual friend of ours who was not present. Upset about something that friend had done, these girls griped, complained, and made fun of him for about 10 minutes. I knew that some of the things they were saying were not true, yet I said nothing. The more they talked, the more worked up they got over something that never actually happened. How do I know? Unlike them, I was actually with our friend that night and knew the truth, and still I said nothing to defend our friend. Instead, I played quietly with my son and pretended like I was listening knowing that their irritation was unjust and yet I was too afraid to say anything for fear the tables would turn on me.

Looking back, I know I should have stood up for my friend and stopped the gossip and the slander in its tracks but even now, several days later, I am not sure how I could have done that without making matters worse. Have you ever been in a situation like this? How did it turn out?

He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool.
Proverbs 10:18



Your thoughts?

No comments: