Friday, July 28, 2006

Bloggity Tour of Homes

I’ve had many homes in my lifetime … actually fifteen in all. I’ve lived in everything from a 300 square foot apartment that I shared with my husband to a 9,000 square foot villa that I shared with 30 students. I’ve “squatted”, I’ve borrowed, I’ve rented, I’ve bought, and I’ve even lost (our home burned down when I was 12). If I’ve learned anything over the last 3 decades it is that any “place” can be home, as long as it is full of people that you love. Today I am participating in an online Tour of Homes, as hosted by BooMama, because I believe community is important and the community of Christian Women Bloggers is still growing and needs all the support it can get and because I believe that "home" is important. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about what your home looks like, or where you live, but how you live and what you do with your home space. As we aspire to become Proverbs 31 women, there is much to be learned from other women on the same journey.

Finally a tour of our humble abode, as represented by the five photos captured by all of the tour participants. Come on in, kick off your shoes and pour yourself a big ol' glass of sweet ice tea. The first stop on the tour is at my front door ... it isn't much to look at, the peep hole is too high, the lock sticks, and the doorbell doesn't work but it is the gateway to our home and the door is simple, solid and strong - everything you want in a front door.


The second photo on my tour is of the place where I do my blog writing. Working in the ever changing field of technology only feeds my love of "furniture with a history" and I absolutely love my antique writing desk (complete with the Diet DP necessary for late night blogging). Other beloved treasures in this desk include my Bible, the Daily Light, my Book of Love (more on this in a later post), my seashell collection, and my hidden stash of peppermints. The chair that I sit in belonged to my great grandmother and is one of a set (the other chairs are distributed to various family members) it creaks and groans when sat upon but it is so special to me.

The third photo on my tour is of our main living area; the area where our family hangs out. I love this room because every piece of furniture has a story, the walls were finished by our loved ones when I was too pregnant to help remodel and the beautiful shelves were built by my dad. We love the fire place and during the winter this is the coziest room in the house.


The fourth photo on my tour is of our kitchen, the place where our little family is nourished every day. When we first bought our home, this room was not among my favorites, but as I've grown as a cook and as a homemaker this room has become one of my favorites. I love the hodgepodge of furniture and kitchen utensils that are housed in this room and love all of the new kitchen gadgets we discover as we try new recipes.

Last stop on my tour is our little man's room. I love this room because my husband and I picked each item with love and care as we awaited for his arrival. The beautiful quilt on the wall was handsewn by my mother and given to my newborn son on Christmas Day, just two days after his birth. During my pregnancy I spent many an hour rocking in the glider, hand on belly, praying for my little-boy-to-be. This room is my first stop in the morning and there is nothing better than seeing those little peepers looking out at me over the railing.

Thanks for stopping by our humble abode and be sure to leave some love so we know you stopped by (no one likes strangers snooping through their houses!). How do you aspire to become a Proverbs 31 woman?

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.

She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls

She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Selected text from Proverbs 31

Your thoughts?

No comments: