Thursday, July 27, 2006

Generations

This week I had the opportunity to be a part of our church’s version of vacation Bible school, affectionately called Summer Bible Quest: VBS for the whole family. Up until this year, there had always been a separate SBQ session for the adults that ran simultaneously with the children’s program, and so I’ve never had the opportunity to see the children’s portion. This year, the Children’s Ministers decided to combine the adult and children portions to create one holistic experience for the whole family. My small group was responsible for one of the centers and spent an entire week preparing the room, skit, and craft for the kiddos. Although I wasn’t able to be a part of the center (I had responsibilities in the technology area), I had the opportunity to walk around and visit each of the centers in progress. I was overcome with the magnitude of the productions, the messages, and the teamwork but most of all I was moved by the community. To see so many people from so many different age groups and life situations working in conjunction with each other to convey one common message in the most effective way possible was completely overwhelming.

I’ve thought long and hard about the challenge of raising a man of God in a world that will work against me at every turn. I’ve thought about the relatives, friends and church members who will have an impact on the man he will become. It was just two months ago that my husband and I had the privilege to be a part of the baby dedication ceremony at our church and while I was moved by the verbal commitment to partner with us as we raise him to be a man of God, the full weight of that vow didn’t hit me until tonight. I don't know if I'll get the chance to reap the fruit of the seeds sowed in my son's life, I just pray that the decisions we make will bring forth blessing.

"Remind me of this with every decision.
Generations will reap what I sow.
I can pass on a curse or a blessing to those I will never know."
Sara Groves, Generations

I myself am convinced, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, complete in knowledge and competent to instruct one another.
Romans 15:14

Your thoughts?

No comments: