Monday, August 21, 2006

Approachable

Sunday mornings are a busy period for me. Aside from trying to get ready several hours earlier than I do during the week and then traipsing to the church to set up the technology for the worship service, I do it all while juggling a baby, often, by myself since my husband is a firefighter. Several Sundays ago, however, was one of the most stress free mornings I’ve had in a long time because my mom offered to take care of the baby until church time so that I could handle set-up without the juggling act. I left for church 15 minutes early and even had time to stop and grab a steaming hot cup of coffee. As I coasted into the empty parking lot, I noticed a large honey colored dog on the other side of the lot. As I pulled into my usual spot, he ran towards me. I’ve never been one to be afraid of dogs so I continued with my routine and got out of the car and began to gather my belongings. As soon as he saw me walk in front of the car, his tail went between his legs and he turned his body away as if at any moment he would bolt. I glanced at him quickly but kept walking in the opposite direction and as long as I looked forward he was relaxed but every time I looked back he resumed the “flight” position.

As I was setting up in the empty auditorium I began thinking a lot about the stray dog and how much I can relate with his defensiveness. So often, as people approach me at church or in the workplace, I am automatically on the defensive. Granted, part of my stature has to do with the nature of my job because since I work in tech support, people looking for me typically are pretty upset about something. Regardless, the way with which I handle a situation from the start can often determine its outcome so that if I begin on the defensive, the person I am dealing with often becomes aggressive or defensive in return. For this week I am going to try to be approachable to those around me because my first impression may be the only impression I ever leave.

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
1 Peter 3:15-16

Your thoughts?

No comments: