Thursday, August 24, 2006

Community

Over the years I’ve been very blessed to be a part of our church’s Praise Team and as I near a time in my life when my responsibilities as a minister are growing so much that I won’t be able to be a part of the Praise Team Ministry anymore, I am caught up in a moment of reflection. When I first began singing on Praise Team, I found the experience very distracting because there is a myriad of activities happening at any given time: people having conversations, individuals coming and going, teenagers passing notes, mothers exhorting their children, some sleeping and of course some worshipping. It took a long time for me to get past the few looks of boredom and those who just flat out don’t sing and it wasn't until I was able to focus in on those who were engaged in worship that I was able to move there myself. Now when I look out over the congregation, I am so moved by those engaged by God that I am sucked into reverence as well. Although our auditorium is designed to naturally promote community worship, with the seats in a 270 degree fan, there is something so spiritual about looking out at our congregation from the pulpit while praising God. How do you find community in worship?

So the name of the LORD will be declared in Zion and his praise in Jerusalem when the peoples and the kingdoms assemble to worship the LORD.
Psalm 102:21-22

Your thoughts?

No comments: