Monday, August 07, 2006

Light Of The World

Have you ever had one of those days when nothing seems to go your way? I’ve had my share and I usually end up taking it out on the people around me. Sad, but true. I can remember one day in particular when it seemed that the whole world was out to make things difficult for me. After a really bad day at work, I made a quick stop at the mall to return something I had purchased for my husband that ended up being too small. I haggled with the sales person for 20 minutes; although I had paid full price for the shirt two days before, it was now on sale and I didn’t have a receipt. They wouldn’t give me full price, yet they didn’t have the correct size available at their store or any of their stores in the Metroplex. They offered to let me exchange it for a different shirt but only for the sales price of my shirt. I was mad, to say the least. By the time I made it back to the department store through which I had entered the mall, I was so fed up from my bad day that my exhaustion really began to take toll. My pace slowed and as I dragged myself towards the exit I was fighting back tears. I cringed as I saw a salesman from the cologne department approach me. Knowing I wouldn’t be able to fend him off politely, I quickened my pace. He cut me off before I slipped out the door and said, “Ma’am, I can’t possibly know what’s bothering you but I hope your day gets better.” Then he turned and walked away. I was speechless and frozen mid-step. Bracing for the impact of something I don’t enjoy (a sales pitch), I was floored by the unexpected encouragement. What made that young man walk across the room to cut me off and offer me encouragement is beyond me.

Isn’t that sad that I am surprised by the random kindness? It really makes me think about the way my actions affect not only the people close to me but complete strangers. Am I “living Jesus” in a way that makes people stop and pause?

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
Matthew 5:14-15

Your thoughts?

No comments: