Saturday, August 26, 2006

My Sheep Know My Voice

My husband and I had only been dating about a month when school broke for Christmas break and we each went our separate ways. My parents knew that I was dating someone but hadn’t met him and didn’t know much about him. About a week into the break, the phone rang one evening and my mom answered the phone, “Hello” and Travis replied, “Hey babe” to which she replied, “Hmmm, this would be ‘babe’s’ mom.” You can imagine his embarrassment but luckily my mom thought the incident was really funny and still teases him about it to this day. The really sad part is he has also done that exact thing to both of my sisters. Ok, so either my husband doesn’t really know my voice or all the women in my family just sound a lot alike; either way it reminds me of how nice it is to know someone so intimately that we recognize the sound of their voice. Sometimes while my son is sleeping I’ll whisper in his ear just to see him smile, or when he is getting fussy at home Travis will call me and let him hear my voice to calm him down. I am suddenly aware of how poignant the illustration of sheep and shepherd really is. Voice recognition is really a sign of intimacy. How do you recognize Jesus’ voice?

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:27

Your thoughts?

No comments: