Thursday, August 31, 2006

Under Pressure

Lives depend on the quick thinking and critical skills of my husband when he is on the job as a Firefighter/Paramedic. Within seconds he can assess a situation, determine a course of action, and put it into action with no doubt that the path he is taking is the right one. There is, however, something strange that happens to my husband when he pulls into a drive-through restaurant; all ability to make quick decisions goes out the window. Despite how far in advance he knows which restaurant we are going to, once he pulls up to the window he is incapable of making a decision. A typical experience will go like this:

Attendant: "Welcome to "XXXX". Can I take your order?"
Husband: "Ummmm, sure, hang on."
Waiting.
Waiting.
Waiting.
Husband: "Ummmmm"
Attendant: "Whenever you are ready, sir."
Husband: "Ok. Ummmm, ummmmm, ummmmm, I'll have a..."
Silence.
Silence.
Silence.
Husband: "Ok, I'd like a 'fill-in-the-blank' and a..."
Silence.
Silence.
Silence.
Husband: "Ummmmmmmmmmm"
Silence.
Silence.
Silence.
Husband: "Ummmmmmmmmmm"
Me: ORDER SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to the drive through windows but I am not exaggerating. Really, I'm not.

I love my husband dearly and even love this funny little quirk, but if I am really honest about the situation I have to confess it bugs me because it reminds me of the times in my faith when I've been indecisive or insecure. I admit I get really frustrated by the Christian who is so easily swayed by every new theology, doctrine, or trendy religious idea even though I am often tempted to jump onboard new religious trends as well. In those moments I have to willfully remind myself to test everything against God's word and turn to Him in faith. How do you avoid the hype?

For their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.
2 Timothy 4:3-5

Your thoughts?

No comments: