Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In The Habit

This morning as I was getting ready, my husband looked over at me and said, “Why do you always use hot water to brush your teeth?” I looked down at the hand that had been reaching for the nozzle and paused realizing that I was in fact about to run hot water. “You use hot water for everything, even when you are getting water for the dog,” he continued, “Why do you do that?” I kind of laughed realizing why I always reach for the hot nozzle instead of the cold. You see, growing up my sister and I shared a Jack and Jill bathroom, complete with two sinks and on my sink only the hot water faucet worked (even though the water was actually cold). It has been eleven years since I lived in that house and yet I still reach for the hot water nozzle out of habit.

I can’t help but wonder what other activities in my life are a result of habit and what new habits I could form with just a little repetition. What habits do you need to break in favor of new ones?

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
1 Timothy 4:8

Your thoughts?

No comments: