Tuesday, August 01, 2006

In The Night

I arrived at church two Sundays ago, and began setup for the worship service. It had been a pretty uneventful Sunday up until that point and I had been looking forward to singing on the Praise Team. I finished set up and used the remote to turn on the three projectors. I watched as they powered up one by one until I noticed that one of the side projectors seemed delayed, I waited patiently but it didn’t come up. I figured that the infrared sensor had come loose so I walked across the room to reattach it only to find that the stand was empty. Not one to panic, I checked with the children’s minister (who had been preparing for Vacation Bible School that week) to make sure that she hadn’t borrowed it but she hadn’t removed the projector. Upon closer inspection, it appeared as though the projector had been ripped from its stand as the cords were left behind in the box, completely smashed. Suddenly it hit me, the previous Wednesday we had arrived at the church to find that the front door had been busted out. Unable to find anything missing, we had assumed that it was an act of vandalism but in actuality it was an act of burglary.

In retrospect I can’t help but reflect on the verse that states that the day of the Lord will come like “a thief in the night”. Looking back on the week I am surprised at how ill-prepared we were for the situation and have to ask, “Am I prepared spiritually for the coming of the Lord?” What about you?

Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
1 Thessalonians 5:1-3


Your thoughts?

No comments: