Friday, August 04, 2006

Shadow Of The Rock

While traveling abroad, I was very fortunate to have my sister and mother visit me for a week during one of my breaks. Neither one of them had ever been out of the country and I was really looking forward to having them visit and experience the culture that I had grown to love. They both went through a short adjustment period as they struggled to pick up some of the cultural clues and nuances and just as they started to feel comfortable we took a train ride that required us to exit the train underground. My mom, eager to get above ground, headed for the staircase and began to climb the steps very quickly. I turned around, unable to stop her in time, and the throngs of people came down the stairs she was going up…the one directional stairs on which she was heading the wrong way. I watched in horror as the masses of people shoved past her completely ignoring her presence; in desperation she wrapped her body around a post to keep from falling as literally hundreds of people hurried down the stairs. Once the stairs had cleared, she peeled herself off of the post and crept down the stairs, “What was that?” she gasped.

I can think of many times in my life that I have felt just like she did on that staircase; when it seems that despite my best efforts everything around me is headed in the opposite direction. In those moments I just have to remember to find refuge in the rock and allow God to protect me until he is able to right me and put me back on my feet. Have you ever felt this way?

For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.
Psalm 27:5-6

Your thoughts?

No comments: