Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bumpy Road


"
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."
~ Albert Einstein ~

My junior year in college I began the semester in the same way I began my initial college career: alone and a complete stranger. Because I had chosen to spend my sophomore year overseas, I returned to a campus only knowing a small handful of people amidst new classes of freshmen and sophomores. About a month after school began, my roommate convinced me to join her in attending a mission conference in Oklahoma. The day we were to leave for the conference, my roommate had a family emergency and bowed out of the trip. Because I didn't have a family emergency and had already turned in all of my money for the trip, I was locked in to the commitment and would have to attend alone with a group of students from our school. To say that I was uncomfortable would be an understatement. Since the trip had been planned for months, all of the sleeping arrangements and accommodations were already set in stone and I would have to go pot-luck with strangers at the conference. On the bus ride to the airport it was pretty clear that I was the odd man out as people divided into groups and began exclusive conversations with each other. The plane ride was even worse as I sat by myself with the empty seat my friend was supposed to occupy. We landed and I felt desperate. I frantically called my parents and begged them to drive up to Oklahoma (from Texas) and they agreed but wouldn't be able to make the trip for two more days.

By the time my parents arrived two days later, many life changing things had happened. First, I met the man that would one day become my husband. Second, I met the man who is now my boss. Third, I met the girl that would become one of my closest friends, a ministry partner, and a bridesmaid in my wedding. Finally, I met a woman who would have more impact on my spiritual life than any other non-family person would ever have. I look back at the weekend and am keenly aware of the stretching and growing opportunities I would have missed had I been "comfortable" and in control of the circumstances. Like a grain of sand in the soft smooth bed of an oyster, my difficult and uncomfortable situation had become the catalyst for me to step out and meet some of the most influential people in my life.

Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish.
Isaiah 37:18

Your thoughts?

No comments: