Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Bathtime

My little man is teething. Tooth number one and two broke through without incident, but three and four are wreaking all kinds of havoc in our little household. As Little Man bears the pain that goes with growing, very little makes him happy. Today, after a three hour bout of "See if this will help", I finally drew him a bath.

Baths seem to have a tremendous healing power for my son. From his first bath in the NICU to his evening bath before bed he is magically transformed into the happiest form of baby possible. Bath time often drags on and on because he is rarely happier than when splashing in soapy water. Today was no exception, a red-faced screaming baby I put in the tub, a happy calm baby I pulled out. We took our time as I washed each and every part and soaped up that little bald head with shampoo. He giggled as I wrung out the washcloth over his head and at one point got so excited about the water he lunged forward to bury his face in the water (but not before I caught him). Watching how happy he was bathing and playing with the water I was overcome with emotion as I realized that as happy as this simple bath made him and as seemingly healing the water was to his mood, it in no way compared to the healing and forgiveness of baptism. I choked back tears as I imagined the day that he would choose to put on our Lord Savior in baptism and felt tremendous anticipation to see my son take the ultimate bath in the healing power of Christ's blood. Oh what a glorious day that will be!

You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
1 Corinthians 6:11

Your thoughts?

No comments: